17 July 2009

Vid test



Finally I am ready to piece together the footage and compile animated instructions.
I started by making a two min test in time for the group presentation on 16 July. I used this opportunity to test it with the other group members. Without being given any instructions other than "Do what the screen tells you to", I watched them follow the instructions. It was very interesting. Overall, they were all moving the correct limbs at the correct time. They did not seem to be putting much effort into it, but this was probably due to the class room context and fact they were unprepared for a micro workout! Afterward I gathered the feedback, which was varied.
* One person commented they only followed the text, whilst another person commented they only followed the figure. As there is a variation in learning techniques between individuals (some thrive from audio, some visual with language, some visual with image) this makes a huge benefit to my class that it is accessible to all types.
* One conclusion was that the current instruction text was too small and too thin. If the screen was bigger I would expect participants to stand further back, and even for more to join the class... in which case the text is still too small. So I agree it needs to be bigger and bolder.
* I noticed the projector was not very bright. The illuminated text did not show up amazingly, the white text filled in a little, and the purple seemed to merge with the pink slightly. I will need to be testing this on different platforms (LCD screen and projector) to make sure I have optimum settings for the output.
* Another problem from the projector was that the progress marker was barely visible. This was a big difference to how it looked on screen, but I will make it more distinguishable.

No comments: